another French WWI propaganda card

• dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Actually it is headed "list of Ministers at the Conference in Genoa" which took place in 1922 to discuss Monetary matters after WWI.I think the conference confirmed that Germany was to pay huge reparations as compensation to the victors, presumably why the worst of German inflation didn't happen till 1922/3. (and cited as one of the causes of WWII) The French Ministers name translates as "to a new market" presumably the other names have similar connotations to the French, it was the French and Belgians who had lost most money-wise and were pressing for the reparations (in fact when Germany didn't pay up they marched into the Ruhr and helped themselves to raw materials and machinery)
    But what I don't understand is the tie up between the back and the picture, there is no obvious nationality for the chap or the goose, what's it all about? There's obviously a big gap between the French and British sense of humour!
    I have seen other copies of the card
  • baltija

747 messages

Sweden

I would say the names of the plenipotentiaries are quite obscure and associated with the activity on the picture side.
  • baltija

747 messages

Sweden

Are you sure it's a French propaganda postcard and not a propaganda postcard in the French language?
  • joulie

6126 messages

France

Actually it is headed "list of Ministers at the Conference in Genoa" which took place in 1922 to discuss Monetary matters after WWI.I think the conference confirmed that Germany was to pay huge reparations as compensation to the victors, presumably why the worst of German inflation didn't happen till 1922/3. (and cited as one of the causes of WWII) The French Ministers name translates as "to a new market" presumably the other names have similar connotations to the French, it was the French and Belgians who had lost most money-wise and were pressing for the reparations (in fact when Germany didn't pay up they marched into the Ruhr and helped themselves to raw materials and machinery)
    But what I don't understand is the tie up between the back and the picture, there is no obvious nationality for the chap or the goose, what's it all about? There's obviously a big gap between the French and British sense of humour!
    I have seen other copies of the card
    • Created on 4 Apr 2020 at 15:06
    I never saw that card before,but I don't think it's actually "propaganda"
    All the names of the plenipotentiaries are puns in french language,most of them with sexual implication.
    Why "to a new market"?
    Regards.
  • joulie

6126 messages

France

An example (not the coarsest one) : "Lord Kitt" must be read "L'orchite" (orchitis)
  • baltija

747 messages

Sweden

Perhaps this is a form of propaganda issued by Germans in the annexed Rhineland?
  • baltija

747 messages

Sweden

Sorry, not the annexation of the Rhineland, but the occupation of the Ruhr: Link (https)
  • dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Sorry, not the annexation of the Rhineland, but the occupation of the Ruhr: Link (https)
    • Created on 5 Apr 2020 at 04:53
    I wonder who it was meant to influence or was it just a (fairly rude) comment on the outcome of the Conference? The image is poorly drawn and the whole card is poorly produced. Perhaps the image had some meaning in France at the time which has been forgotten? The translation "to a new market" might be a sanitized version, I got it from the web!
  • baltija

747 messages

Sweden

I wonder who it was meant to influence or was it just a (fairly rude) comment on the outcome of the Conference? The image is poorly drawn and the whole card is poorly produced. Perhaps the image had some meaning in France at the time which has been forgotten? The translation "to a new market" might be a sanitized version, I got it from the web!
    • Created on 5 Apr 2020 at 15:47
    I do not know for certain what the purpose of the postcard is. I think that it could be a rude comment to insult the occupiers.

There is a paragraph in the Wikipedia article about passive resistance during the occupation of the Ruhr: Link (https)

Join the collectors community

Register Login