CORNISH PENNY(1)

• cl2

3005 messages

France

I am looking for all informations about this 2 coins:

- the first one, made in 1811, diameter 35mm, on one side : "FOR THE ACCOMODATION OF THE COUNTY" on the other one "CORNISH PENNY 1811" with the picture, it seems, of a mine ;
    - the second one, made in 1812, same size, on one side "CORNISH PENNY" and "ICH DIEN", on the other one "PAYABLE AT SCORRIER HOUSE" et "ONE POUND FOR 240 TOKENS 1812", with the same picture.
    Catalogue reference??? Prize???
    Thank you
    cl2, from France

(back of the coins in next message)
  • Account deleted
    Account deleted

0 messages

United Kingdom

- the first one, made in 1811, diameter 35mm, on one side : "FOR THE ACCOMODATION OF THE COUNTY" on the other one "CORNISH PENNY 1811" with the picture, it seems, of a mine ;
    - the second one, made in 1812, same size, on one side "CORNISH PENNY" and "ICH DIEN", on the other one "PAYABLE AT SCORRIER HOUSE" et "ONE POUND FOR 240 TOKENS 1812", with the same picture.
    Thank you
    cl2, from France

• Created on 28 Jan 2008 at 03:14
    This information is no longer available because the user’s account has been deleted (GDPR)
  • cl2

3005 messages

France

This information is no longer available because the user’s account has been deleted (GDPR)
    • Created on 9 Jan 2009 at 14:16
    Thank you for all these details.
    Best regards.
    cl2
  • xtf70

1490 messages

United Kingdom

Thank you
    cl2, from France

• Created on 28 Jan 2008 at 03:14
    Just to expand on what loach wrote:
    Scorrier House, just south of the village, was built in 1778 by John Williams the Third of the Williams family, from the fortune he made from tin mining; it was substantially enlarged in 1845.
    The 'coins' or tokens would be used as a form of local currency and presumably used to pay the miners' wages in part; they could be spent in the local shop or store and, as the inscription suggests, exchanged for one pound Sterling (£1) on presenting 240 tokens to John Williams' agent at Scorrier House.
  • cl2

3005 messages

France

Just to expand on what loach wrote:
    Scorrier House, just south of the village, was built in 1778 by John Williams the Third of the Williams family, from the fortune he made from tin mining; it was substantially enlarged in 1845.
    The 'coins' or tokens would be used as a form of local currency and presumably used to pay the miners' wages in part; they could be spent in the local shop or store and, as the inscription suggests, exchanged for one pound Sterling (£1) on presenting 240 tokens to John Williams' agent at Scorrier House.
    • Created on 11 Jun 2010 at 16:15
    Thank you for your answer.
    cl2
  • Account deleted
    Account deleted

0 messages

United Kingdom

• Created on 9 Jan 2009 at 14:16
  • Account deleted
    Account deleted

0 messages

United Kingdom

• Created on 11 Jun 2010 at 19:37
  • Account deleted
    Account deleted

0 messages

United Kingdom

• Created on 11 Jun 2010 at 19:39

Join the collectors community

Register Login